Friday, December 14, 2012

The difficulty in finding level appropriate information in chemistry

Over the course of this course, I was somewhat frustrated at how hard it was to find sources of information on chemistry written at an appropriate level for high school.  It seems like so much of the information about the subject is written at the college and graduate level that giving a student a task involving a search on the internet could result in a much harder then expected result.  In a previous interactivity I linked to symmetry @ otterbein (http://symmetry.otterbein.edu/) and while that is a good site if you have someone directing you on what you should be looking at, if found on its own, it will likely look like an alien language to someone in highschool.  It's not really the fault of the site itself since it was intended to be used for that.  Another site is the models 360  ( http://www.chemeddl.org/resources/models360/models.php?pubchem=222 ), while providing a good 3d view of a molecule, I can forsee those options being very confusing if you don't have a college level understanding of the area.

It seems like if I want to incorporate the technology I want into a classroom at an appropriate level, I'll have to end up writing and coding it myself.  better brush up on those flash/java/actionscript skills.


No comments:

Post a Comment