Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Limitations of technology

While technology can be a great tool in learn, it's also important to look at the downsides of it and make contingency plans should something happen.  While I like being able to take my inorganic chemistry and biochemistry books around with my computer, they also became a hindrance when the power was gone for over a week from the sandy aftermath.  Hand i still had the in print text, I would have been able to do something more productive over that long break.  Earlier this summer, the processor on my computer finally burned out, and i wasn't able to recover the files from the old hardrive resulting in a lot of lost documents and files I would rather have.  Fortunately, I kept a hard copy of the lesson plan from 312 that allowed me to do the final. 
  Now the point of those anecdotes isn't to make excuses for the missing interactivity or the missed biochem lab, but to serve as a warning that there should always be a back up plan for things that go bad.  If you need a youtube clip for class, download it as a backup.  Same with web pages, hit the files tab and save page as.  It won't keep the hyperlinks, but it's better then whatever error message from either your connection being down or the website.  Now if your computer goes down for some reason, you should have plans in place to still be able to teach the lesson as effectively as you can

No comments:

Post a Comment